It’s time to make ooey, gooey, and gross SNOT!!!
Here’s what you will need:
- Borax powder
- Elmer’s glue (Elmer’s work best)
- Green and yellow food coloring
- Warm water
- Two small disposable bowls
- Plastic spoons
- 1/8 and 1/2 measure cups
- Sandwich bags to save your SNOT!
Let’s make SNOT!
- In the first bowl, mix together 1/2 cup warm water and 1/8 cup Borax powder. Be sure your water is warm so the Borax mixes well.
- In the second bowl, mix together three spoons of warm water a two spoons of Elmer’s glue. Again, be sure your water is warm so the glue mixes well.
- Add drops of green and yellow food coloring to your glue mixture from step two. Continue to add food coloring until you find the grossest color possible! (If you plan to add a lot of food coloring, you may need to add another spoonful of glue.)
- Add the Borax powder mixture to the glue mixture a spoonful at a time. The glue mixture should become slimy and clumpy, just like snot! If satisfied, save your snot in the sandwich bag and repeat your experiment! If your snot was to watery, try repeating your experiment but add more Elmer’s glue!
Why do we need snot?
The slimy, gooey stuff that comes out of your nose is technically called mucus. Mucus membranes line the inside of your nose and sinuses. They secrete the mucus to protect your body from foreign invaders like germs and dirt. The sticky snot traps the dirt and germs so they don’t get in your lungs where they can cause trouble.
When you do get sick and have a runny nose, your body is probably trying to get those germs out! Great job snot!